Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT) is a powerful and effective tool for resolving trauma and promoting healing at all levels: physical, emotional, mental and spiritual. This unique form of “psychological acupuncture” uses the ancient Chinese meridian system – the energetic pathways in the body – to relieve psychological stress and physiological pain. By tapping on meridian release points on the face and body, the body’s energy system is balanced and emotional conflicts are neutralized at their source.
Eileen Sullivan, a childbirth educator and doula with over 20 years of experience, is an EFT Advanced Practitioner (EFT-ADV). She has used this modality for many years to successfully facilitate the resolution of birth trauma, and for VBAC preparation. In this program, Eileen demonstrates the use of EFT specifically for birth trauma. This program is appropriate for birth practitioners, counselors/therapists, and women who have experienced a traumatic birth, and focuses on the following:
- Learning to recognize birth trauma and its causes.
- The foundations of EFT, including how our thoughts and emotions affect our bodies.
- The short-cut EFT tapping procedure and some basic trouble-shooting, so that even beginners can achieve great results.
- Important things to remember when working with mothers experiencing birth trauma.
I ended up needing a crash cesarean section and did not have an epidural at the time, so they tried a general anesthetic. I blacked out at first but when the OB began to cut into my belly, I remember everything from then on. I was later diagnosed with PTSD. The regimen for recovery was medication that made me even more tired and less reactive. [Pregnant again], I was so scared of another c section, the thought made it hard for me to breathe. I was having flashbacks and panic attacks so often I was afraid I would cause myself to miscarry. I found Eileen through my doula. Our session began with us talking a bit about why I was there. Even today I remember how difficult it was for me to tell my story. It was something I was unable to speak of without bursting into tears. We spent two and a half hours “tapping.” I remember after a few rounds of EFT, I could actually visualize some of the birth without going into a severe panic attack. I felt relief, as though a huge weight was being lifted off of me. When we were done, I could breathe. I could move past this tragedy and feel. I could break down this ten inch titanium wall that sat between me and my son, and allow a bond to occur. I had never felt so free… After our session I went back to my doula’s house to pick up my son and when I walked in the door, he ran to me! As though he just knew something was different. On any other day he would not run to me to be held. I was in shock, but so very happy! I used EFT to resolve some other issues during the pregnancy, and my doula even used it with me during my labor. I had a successful VBAC and I still use EFT to this day.
– Chelle Clas (To read Chelle’s story in its entirety, click here)
EFT was originally developed to reduce the therapy process from months or years down to hours or even minutes. Early practitioners noted that as emotional problems faded, physical health and personal performance also improved, sometimes dramatically. Emotional Freedom Techniques is a tool that is gaining popularity, and is the subject of a growing number of scientific studies. For more information on EFT, visit Eileen’s website and the World Center for EFT website.
PLEASE NOTE: During the recording, you may hear mention of Part II of the program, which was a practical session for participants and is not being offered for viewing due to confidentiality concerns.
This program is 90 minutes in length.
Certificate of Completion: $7.50 (completion of post-session questionnaire required).
Continuing Education Units are available for some professional groups. To view a listing of CEU opportunities, click here.
* Disclaimer: This is not a certifying program in the practice and instruction of EFT. The Conscious Woman Healing from Birth Trauma Series is intended to introduce participants to a variety of healing modalities that have been shown to, or show promise in, assisting with the healing of trauma. We assume that all of our participants take personal responsibility for their own healing process and for their well-being at all times. EFT has shown fabulous results with trauma resolution in a variety of settings; however, note that neither Eileen Sullivan nor Conscious Woman, Inc. will assume responsibility if this practice does not yield the results you wish.